Quilting is a very popular form of sewing and sewing machines can be used for this craft. Both mechanical and computerized sewing machines can be used for quilting and while some of these machines are better equipped to be used for quilting others aren’t.
Also, whilst computerized sewing is made up of numerous advanced features to make your quilting craft experience easier, it can be quite difficult to navigate for beginners and expensive thus making the mechanical sewing machines still preferred by some quilters.
Apart from the fact that mechanical sewing machines are often easier for beginners to work with, they also require low maintenance and are budget-friendly
Review of The 7 Best Mechanical Sewing Machines For Quilting
There are a lot of mechanical sewing machines in the market today with most of them claiming to be great for quilting and sewing purposes, to prevent you from falling for false claims we’ve reviewed the best ones available.
During the compilation of this list, we considered factors such as workspace size, durability, stitching speed, foot options, and many other add-ons to make quilting easier for you.
If you’re looking for the best mechanical sewing machine for your quilting craft, here are the best ones you should choose from.
Let’s get started!
1. SINGER 4432 Sewing Machine
The is a sturdy, durable and heavy duty machine. It comes with a variety of built-in stitches for all your sewing needs.
This heavy-duty sewing machine is a powerful workhorse with a 60% stronger motor than standard machines which makes it easy to stitch through a variety of fabrics effortlessly. With this, you will not only love that it comes with a sturdy interior metal frame that provides rigid support for skip-free stitching.
You will also love that it comes with a large workspace for your quilting projects and a stainless steel bedplate which enables smooth fabric flow. In addition to this, it comes with an adjustable presser foot pressure to work through a range of different material weights and a reverse stitch feature that gives your project a long-lasting and smoother finish.
Finally, it’s ideal for crafting projects, home dècor, sewing, and quilting and it’s your best choice if you want your project to be unique and get professional results in no time.
- The heavy-duty metal frame provides stability and long-lasting durability.
- A built-in reverse lever so you can sew in reverse to reinforce your stitches.
- 110 stitch applications for basic and decorative sewing.
- 4 Presser feet are included for enhanced capability.
- A soft-sided dust cover to protect it when not in use.
- 1,100 stitching speed per minute.
- Cost-effective and extremely versatile.
- Automatic needle threader and easy to load bobbin system.
2. BROTHER XM2701 Sewing Machine
Get your quilting and other sewing projects done fast and easy with this durable sewing machine
This machine has made this list because it’s a basic machine that accomplishes quality project results with elegance and simplicity. It’s been engineered for easy use with its LED light illuminated work area and it’s designed for a broad range of users.
Also, the XM2701 is equipped with a wide range of user-friendly features and a lightweight design, which makes it excellent for beginners who are learning to quilt or sew and experts who are looking for versatility.
Lastly, this free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing and quilting projects. It’s your best option if you want an affordable machine with great features and with no need for spending extra money on accessories.
- Affordable and easy to use.
- Comes with a user manual and instructional DVD to help even the novice kickstart sewing.
- Stitching speed of 800 stitches per minute.
- 27 unique built-in stitches including quilting stitches and easy stitch selection.
- 6 sewing feet.
- Automatic needle threader and jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin.
- Very light and equipped with time-saving features.
3. JANOME HD3000 Sewing Machine
This is a machine is made with heavy duty metal body to ensure durability. It is not only durable but also reliable.
This machine is a model from the popular JANOME brand known for producing top-quality machines. HD3000 with its durability and versatility didn’t disappoint the reputation of this brand. it’s a heavy-duty machine that can handle heavyweight quilting fabrics seamlessly and gives you a vibration-free sewing experience.
You will love the fact that it comes with dials that are easy to use and offer precise controls that provide top-quality seams at all times. In addition to this, it’s equipped with an excellent electronic foot control which makes it perfect to work on thicker and more resistant fabrics.
In brief, this machine is perfect for crafters who are less technology-savvy to use in creative and fun ways but note that it’s expensive and the worktop is not big enough to handle large-sized quilting projects.
- Comes with a heavy-duty Aluminum frame to provide stability.
- Efficiently produces very neat and polished stitches.
- Built-in needle threader to save time.
- Reverse stitch lever and superb fabric feeding system.
- Snap-on Presser feet and Foot pressure adjustment.
- Includes an onboard tutorial and reference guide to help in your project process.
- Stitching speed of 860 stitches per minute.
- Jam-proof top-loading bobbin system.
- Low maintenance.
- Storage and carrying case.
4. SINGER 4423 Sewing Machine
This sewing machine has a lot of versatility. It is easy to use, and comes with unique features that make quilting easier.
Whether you’re looking to start quilting or any other form of sewing craft project, this heavy-duty Singer machine is excellent for you. Not only does it save you time with its automatic needle threader and very fast switching speed but it also allows you to bring your creative ideas to life easily.
With 60% more power and enhanced speed coupled with an extra high-pressure foot lift, this machine can accommodate thick fabrics and long seams, tackling them without breaking the bank. It comes with a heavy-duty metal interior frame and stainless steel bedplate to provide long-lasting stability and durability.
To sum things up, this is your best choice if you want a machine that gives you a variety of great features at an affordable price and comes with adequate sewing accessories so you can get started instantly.
- Automatic needle threader to effortlessly thread the needle for a faster start.
- Full metal frame to provide durability.
- The maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches per minute.
- Cost-effective and consistent high-quality performance.
- 4 Presser feet included.
- Easy stitch selection from the 23 built-in stitches and 97 stitch applications.
- Easy to load top drop-in bobbin system with clear cover to monitor thread supply.
5. BROTHER XR3774 Sewing Machine
This is a great all-in-one sewing machine that can handle your every stitching need. Easy to maintain.
This basic mechanical sewing machine made this list because it’s designed to handle quilt projects thus it’s seen as a suitable option in place of the highly expensive quilting machines. With its extension table that conveniently accommodates large quilting fabrics, quilting guide, and quilting foot one can see that it’s indeed perfect for quilting.
Furthermore, its versatile free arm makes it the right choice for a wide range of everyday sewing and quilting by both beginners and advanced users. It also comes with an impressive accessory pack that
Finally, it offers good value for its price and it’s a suitable option if you’re looking for an inexpensive and basic device to quilt with.
- 37 unique built-in stitches including quilting stitches.
- Automatic needle threader and jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin system.
- Large table for large projects and quilts.
- 8 sewing and quilting feet included.
- Comes with an instructional DVD.
- Sturdy and simple to use.
6. JANOME Magnolia 7138 Sewing Machine
The sewing machine features high-quality steel gears that deliver powerful performance and reliability.
While this model does not come with numerous fancy features like the HD3000, it made this list because it still comes with enough features that you need for efficient sewing of your creative projects at a much more budget-friendly price.
Another thing you will love about this machine is that its easy-to-use features and supreme functionality makes it ideal for beginners. And also allows it to keep pace with the increasing sewing skills and knowledge of experienced quilters or sewers.
Additionally, this machine gives you the power you need and the precision you seek with its 18 built-in stitches and convenient measurement markings on the needle plate. It’s the ideal machine perfect for your lifestyle and budget.
- Handy carrying handles to ease transport.
- Large workspace to accommodate your quilting projects.
- Perfect machine for all your projects: quilting, crafting, garments, home dècor, and more.
- Drop-feed system makes free motion quilting easy.
- The reverse lever helps you reinforce your stitches for a smoother finish.
- Easy stitch selection dial and stitch adjustment features.
7. BERNETTE 35 Sewing Machine
This is an excellent choice for quilting. It has a heavy-duty metal frame that can withstand the rigors and stress of daily use.
This classy and elegant Swiss-designed mechanical sewing machine not only prides itself on its attractive look but also on its ability to handle a variety of fabrics ranging from thick and awkward to light ones.
Another thing you will love about B35 is its versatility, it is perfectly suitable for crafters, quilters, and garment makers and comes with adjustable knobs to easily set the width, length, and pattern of stitches.
Note that, even though this machine performs excellently well and smoothly it’s quite expensive for a mechanical device with no computerized controls.
- Includes 7 Presser feet and 23 built-in utility and decorative stitches.
- Decent speed of about 860 stitches per minute.
- Comes with a user manual that you should read to utilize the machine to its utmost capabilities.
- Beautifully designed with lovely features.
- Suitable for a wide range of users.
Mechanical Sewing machines are sturdy and reliable machines that can be used for a wide range of creative projects. And to help you in making the best buying decision we’ve compiled the list of the best.
Choosing from any of the machines on our list will be an excellent addition to your craft tools by not only being cost-effective but also allowing you to enjoy a pleasurable quilting experience.