With the advance in technology many quilters, embroiderers, and other creative artists have found a modern way to transfer their designs from paper onto fabrics. Rather than using the traditional methods such as direct drawing using a pencil or water-soluble ink method, transfer paper, or printer ink method, Lightbox is the new rave.
You will find this equipment useful if your favourite way of transferring patterns in embroidery or quilting is by tracing, and if it’s not, you should change your mind because it’s time-saving and accurate.
This piece of equipment could either be battery-powered, USB powered or AC adapter powered, your choice should be based on your needs or personal preference.
9 Best Light Box For Quilting and Embroidery In 2023
Lightboxes are of different types and varieties with specifications of one different from the other and that’s why we have compiled the list of the best ones out there to help you with quilting or embroidery projects.
While making our list we considered a lot of factors like power source, size, weight, light adjustment, affordability, and other features. From this list, you can choose the one that’s perfect for your needs, the specifications you have in mind, and your budget.
Here are the best light boxes for your quilting and embroidery designs.
1. Huion L4S LED Light Box
This is a reliable, cost effective quilting and embroidery lightbox. It is ideal for both beginners and professionals alike.
Huion is part of Amazon’s choice lightbox, its sleek and ultra-thin design makes it compact and portable for use and convenient to carry. – Just by tapping the touch switch, you can turn on/off the lightbox
Furthermore, it comes with an eyesight-protected technology; a protective film and an eye-protective LED lamp that helps to prevent eye strain, and also a memory that will remember the brightness used from the last time of usage.
Despite its maximum brightness being just about 1,100 lux which is quite low when compared to some others, it’s still enough to serve most purposes.
Lastly, with this gadget sewing designs projects like quilting and embroidery are easy to carry out and no longer time-consuming.
- Touch switch design to adjust brightness freely and helps find your ideal lighting.
- USB powered to easily power the device from the computer, power bank, and directly to a wall outlet.
- Eye-sight protected technology.
- Light brightness is saved from the last use and you get the same preferred setting the next use.
- Wide varieties of use range from calligraphy, design transfer, and artwork tracing to quilting and embroidery.
- Time-saving and very easy to use.
2. HSK B4 Light Pad Light Box
This Light Box is specially designed to make embroidery or quilting projects easier. Features an adjustable brightness and angles.
HSK B4 is designed to offer great quality and performance with features like an aluminum covered outer frame to improve rigidity and prevent side light emittance which is unique to it.
This A2 size lightbox might be a bit larger than some others but perfect for many creative activities. While using it in embroidery or quilting, you will like how the detail of every stitch and color are easily seen and identified.
Lastly, you should know it doesn’t come with an adapter but has a micro USB port for charging.
- Three buttons to control lightning and on/off.
- Dimmer 20W LED is useful for intricate designs that require brighter lighting.
- Aluminum outer encasement gives it sturdiness and rigidity.
- Last for a long time before burning out.
- Free storage bag.
- Allows nice transitions during the designing process.
- The maximum brightness is 4500 lux.
3. US ART SUPPLY Lightmaster LED Light Box
It has a large viewing surface and comes equipped with a wide array of features to help improve work quality.
Lightmaster is a premium quality ultra-thin light tracing pad that allows quilters to work on large projects as well as smaller projects. It’s a lightbox with long-lasting flicker-free LED lamps.
The product is quite expensive and its electrical plugs are designed for use in the US and thus may require an adapter or converter for use in international destinations. It’s ideal for sewing projects, quilting, transferring designs, and calligraphy.
- Dimmable touch button technology.
- A2-sized working surface to accommodate big projects.
- Thin and light body design for portability.
- Maintenance-free super bright energy-efficient LED lamps that last up to 50,000 hours.
- The maximum brightness is about 2,900 lux.
- Comes with a light pad, measuring overlay grid, and a protractor.
4. Artograph LightTracer LED Lightbox
This is a perfect tool for both quilting and embroidery. It is made of high quality materials and durable.
This lightweight lightbox is designed with a slanted surface rather than the standard flat lightbox to make it more convenient for use. It comes with a built-in pencil tray to keep your tracing tools close.
This firm plastic frame is quite easy to carry and can be placed on the table or lap. Also, it can be used to transfer patterns to both dark and light fabrics.
Lastly, it can be used for illustrating, sewing, and quilting patterns, transferring embroidery designs.
- The slanted surface design provides comfortability.
- Compact and portable.
- Highly efficient LED light bulbs.
- No bulb change is required.
- LED lights last through years of regular use.
- Highly versatile and durable.
- Brightness ranges from 5000 to 14,000 lux.
5. Small Fish Ultra Thin LED Light Box
This lightbox features LED illumination technology that provides your workspace with a high level of brightness, clarity and contrast.
This portable lightbox does have your needs as a quilter in mind because not only does it come with quilting rulers and tracing papers, but also it’s LED lights which penetrate fabric easily and do not generate heat making them environmentally friendly.
The lights are controlled by a one-touch sensor and adjusting the lightning with this sensor allows for a thorough view of the patterns. Also, it’s built to last and is easy to use.
Furthermore, The A4-sized device is lightweight thus making it easy to carry by both children and adults that make use of it in their craft. Also, it is perfect for use by artists, calligraphers, quilters, embroiderers, and designers.
- Has quilting rulers on the side for easy drawing and movement.
- Super slim and highly portable for easy carry.
- Perfect for design transfers.
- Free tracing papers and paper clips
- Energy-saving and environmentally-friendly LED lights.
- Brightness ranges from 800-3400 lux.
- Anti-slip backing to hold the box down when working.
- USB powered
- Flicker-free touch sensor technology to switch on/off and control lighting.
- Adjustable LED lights with eye protection technology.
- Wide range of uses.
6. LITENERGY Portable A4 Tracing LED Light Box
This is a portable lightbox that is easy to carry around. It provides clear images, perfect for quilting and embroidery.
This Amazon’s popular choice device, unlike the traditional boxes, is quite easy to carry and just by pressing on the touch switch, you get the desired brightness to carry out your projects.
Also, it comes with energy-efficient flicker-free LED lights to provide perfect long-lasting lighting. Due to its memory feature, your desired brightness can be saved for use another time.
It’s powered by a USB cord which means easy access to any USB port like a computer, USB adapter, or even power bank.
This is perfect for you if you’re looking for a budget-friendly lightbox and yet still offer all the impressive features you need for transferring designs. – Be aware that it gets hot when you leave it running for too long.
- Lightweight and super thin and can be carried anywhere.
- 4 colour options- pink, black, green, and silver.
- Durable yet very affordable.
- The maximum brightness is about 4000 lux.
- Eye-sight protective design.
- Touch switch design.
- USB powered.
- Smart memory feature; saves the memory of the brightness of your last use
- Wide applications such as sewing, quilting, design transferring, and so on.
7. Purelite A4 LED Ultra Wafer Thin LightBox
This is one of the best lightboxes the market has to offer. It is portable, lightweight and easy to use.
This fine piece of lightbox is of excellent quality and easy to use. Also, quilters and other creative professionals love the fact that it has an adjustable natural daylight effect.
Furthermore, it has touch sensor technology to adjust lights and switch them on/off. And its last longing, durable and compact.
Lastly, Purelite is perfect for quilters, embroiderers, and other creative professionals for home, office, and travel.
- Adjustable natural daylight effect.
- Low heat, low energy.
- Constant light across the panel.
- Touch-sensitive light controls.
- 3 settings of light intensity to suit your environment.
- Produces high-quality lighting that lasts for a minimum of 50,000 hours.
- Useful illuminated ruler on the top and side edge of the device.
- Portable and travel-friendly.
- USB mains and battery operated.
- The maximum brightness is about 1450 lux.
8. Lumsburry A4 LED Light Box
With this lightbox, you will get an excellent value for your money. It is highly efficient and made to last.
Lumsburry with its standard A4-size light area is suitable for your everyday needs. It’s a high-quality and versatile device that can be powered by a power bank, computer, and USB adapter. The USB interface is well secured and stable.
It provides sufficient light for delicate and complicated tracing and the soft light doesn’t harm the eyes even when you work for long hours.
Lastly, the screen is covered with a protective film that must be removed before use so the light won’t be dark and uneven.
- Ultra-thin and light-weighted body.
- Takes up minimal space and is convenient for travel.
- Strong light transmittance makes tracing patterns easier.
- Stepless dimmable and eye-protected LED.
- Light can be adjusted until it reaches the desired level of brightness.
- Long paper holders and non-slip mats are included.
9. Tikteck A4 Ultra-thin Portable LED Light Box
This lightbox is a safe and easy way to trace patterns, draw designs, or simply uses to brighten your workspace.
This made the list because of its high Amazon global rating, and after research, we found out that it’s indeed worthy of this rating. A lot of things can be done in this device with its size yet it’s portable enough to be transported anywhere.
With a super-thin acrylic surface making it feel like a glass panel and its light adjustment range, its look and brightness can compete with some expensive lightboxes.
It has a flicker-free illumination with adjustable brightness that allows you to work comfortably. You can adjust the light to make it dimmer during the daytime and brighter at night time depending on the room light. There is emitting of light from the sides which can be irritating to the eyes in the dark when used for a long time but with some ambient light on it’s not very obvious.
This gadget is super handy and makes even the most complicated project easy to do. While this may not be the cheapest lightbox, it’s highly recommended as your best option if you’re on a budget.
- The touch sensor button controls brightness and on/off.
- Brightness ranges from 5,000 to 14,000 lux.
- Sleek, slim, and elegant design
- Eye-sight protection technology helps prevent eye strain when used for a long time.
- Illumination is even, bright and flicker-free.
- The screen is protected by the protective film which should be removed before use.
- Ruler on tracer helps when working.
- Very easy to operate.
- An anti-slip rubber stand on the back.
- Takes up minimal space.
- Powered by USB power source
- Lightweight and convenient to carry on the go.
- Multi-use for artistic projects such as quilting, sewing, art tracing, and so on.
Factors To Consider Before Buying Lightbox for Quilting
The best lightboxes will display your quilt top so that everyone can see how it turned out. Buy from a reputable seller, and make sure that you’re getting a quality product. After all, you’re spending a lot of money, and you don’t want to get ripped off.
If you are serious about creating the perfect quilt top, then you’ll want to consider all of the factors listed above when buying a lightbox for your textile project.
I. Look for Quality
Reviews of lightboxes for quilting often focus on the ease of use and how well they display quilts. However, it’s important to look for quality when shopping for a lightbox. Make sure that the box you are purchasing is made from high-quality materials and has a long lifespan.
Don’t be afraid to spend a little more money if you think that the product is worth it. After all, you’re spending a lot of money, and you don’t want to get ripped off.
II. Make Sure It’s Portable
Another important consideration when buying a lightbox for your quilt top is its portability. If you want to move your quilt top from one place to another quickly and easily, then a lightbox is a great option.
Make sure that the lightbox can be carried around with you on your travels. You don’t want to end up lugging around a heavy box of pictures all the time.
III. Check the Frame’s Integrity
Make sure that the frame of your lightbox is in good condition before you buy it. If it is not, be sure to get a new one. A broken lightbox can ruin your quilt top and make it difficult to get it back on track.
IV. Know What You’re Getting
Before you buy a lightbox for your textile project, be sure to know what you’re getting. Do you want a basic lightbox that will display your quilt top on a screen, or do you want something that will give you the ultimate visibility?
Be sure to research the different types of lightboxes before making a purchase. You don’t want to spend unnecessary money on something that won’t have an impact on your quilt top.
V. Look for a Seller With Good Ratings
Make sure that you’re buying from a reputable seller. Quality control is important in any purchase, and it’s especially important when it comes to lightboxes. Look for sellers with good ratings on Amazon, eBay, or other online retailers.
This will ensure that you’re getting a quality product, and you won’t have to worry about any potential problems. After all, you’re spending a lot of money, and you don’t want to get ripped off.
Even though Lightbox is not specifically designed for quilters and embroiderers it still serves as an important help for tracing whether during the proper design process or the design transfer process when quilting or embroidering.
With our list, you should be sure whichever one you select is right for your craft and will serve the purpose you intend for it.